AboutStoreFavorite LinksHomeFavorite Blogs

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Picture Book Linky Party--Week #2 (Math Concepts)

Thank you to those of you who linked up for the first week of school  picture book party, and for those that commented with your favorites.  I  REALLY love that  you gave me more suggestions, but my Amazon cart is FULL!  Do you think that hubby would notice if a few thirty books or so just showed up? Ahh, I will just order them in small quantities.  NO ONE WILL NOTICE! :)

I think that it's time to do week two!!

Math Concepts!  
There's a LOT of picture books that help teach math.
There are tons of great counting books.  
For example,
I'm sure many of you have this one, as it's a favorite in a K or Grade 1 room! 
 Have you also seen this one?  My son enjoyed this one when he was younger.

Both are cute counting books, with a fun rhyming pattern. 
Mrs. McTats is also an A-B-C book!  Very cute! 


There are a several books about time I use.
With this book, I read to the first time that the boy is told "Just a Minute". I ask my class if they've ever heard that before (as my firsties can relate).  Then I have them tell me how long a minute is.  After listening to their ideas, we close our eyes, and open them when they think a minute is up.  I then discuss the second hand/minute hand/etc.  I feel that it's important that they learn about all the parts that help make up an hour.  I really like this book.  It's a quick read, and a great intro.  

I read this story for the first time this year.  I think my principal (she was observing me) and myself enjoyed it as much as my kiddos.  It's a cute story for the concept of hour.  Students can show the time that the Roosters are doing their daily activity on mini clocks as you read.  

I just stumbled upon this one.  It's going to have to go in the cart.  
It sounds cute, have you read it?

 I was in the process of adding Tally O'Malley to my cart,
and what do I do?? 
 I go and look at those little images that are underneath the words
 "Customers Who Bought this Item Also Bought" 
Now what did I go and do that for?
Look at these great book selections.  How perfect are these for K-1 concepts?

I actually had this one (12 Ways to Get to 11) in my cart last year, and never purchased it.  
If you have it, let me know if it's as great as I think it would be for my kiddos! :)

Now, I am also very fortunate to have a great public library, and my school library is good too.  A lot of these books, if not at my local library, I can order them from another library in the state and borrow it.  I'm not sure if other states work that way, but it's a great way for me to explore books.  Then, if it's a book I  feel I will use again, I consider purchasing.  It saves me money that way, and I get to see the book and content.  I can't always do that on Amazon.

Three more books to share with you. These are concepts that I spend quite a bit of time on, and I think that they would be must haves in my classroom.
For non-standard measuring, have you seen this book?
For equal/not equal equations, I think this book will be so cute!!


Finally, a concept that is so hard for my kiddos--more and fewer.
The question "How many more? is a killer!
I hope to use this book to address the terms, and ask questions in regards to that.


Link up!  Here's How:
1) Grab the image below.  
2) Post it to your blog post and link back to this post.
3) Share your favorite picture books to teach math concepts.
4) Return to this post and share your link with inlinkz.  
Remember to use the exact URL of your blog post so that others can find your great book choices!

Perhaps, you could also take time to comment on others posts.  :)  
I had many new bloggers link up to last week's.   
I'm sure they would love some new followers/comments! :)

If you are not a blogger, you can participate too!  
What are YOUR favorite books for teaching math concepts?  :)

15 comments:

  1. I love this. With common core there is a need for good math literature. My favorites include Greg Tang and Jerry Pallota's books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great book picks I've written them all down so I can see if our library has them! Thanks so much for doing this linky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any of the Stuart J. Murphy books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We see lots of good books for math on your list...so we haven't seen before! We did a post about 12 Ways to Get to 11 just a bit ago! We included a freebie class book idea. Below is the link if you want to check it out!
    http://firstgradebuddies2.blogspot.com/2013/06/mentor-text-linky-6913.html

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for this linky. Three of my fav things - maths, maths books and blogging.
    Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this linky! I dont have much to add as the concept of literacy in maths is fairly new to me, but I have definitely taken lots of notes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great reads. This will be extremely helpful since I am heading back to a 1st and 2nd grade class this year..after being away 15 years.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your picture book linkies! Thanks so much for hosting it! I look forward to joining it every week :)
    Tess
    The Teacher and the Frog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of good books! You are making me miss first grade!I taught it for a long time with my best friend. Then we were both moved to second. Then they split us up after 2 years in second. She got to go to first and I had to stay in second.

    Grade School Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all of these great ideas and links. I am writing the math lessons for our first grade team this year and want to use literature as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the fun linky! So many new books to look at!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am loving all of these picture book linky parties!! Thanks so much for organizing :)

    Melissa
    Kindergarten Celebration

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for hosting this linky party. My books that I ordered from your last one just came in. I have added several more to my wish list.
    Thanks,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for hosting this very informative linky. I LOVE sharing great books and learning about new ones to add to my class library. This could prove to be expensive..I like the "order a little at a time idea". I just may have to try that.
    -Jen
    That First Grade Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. The linky report week two has also produced some of the effective prospects which are even said to be of utmost importance. amcas personal statement

    ReplyDelete

First Grade and Fabulous

Total Pageviews