AboutStoreFavorite LinksHomeFavorite Blogs

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Picture Book Linky Party--Week Four-Favorite Rhyming Books

As if I didn't have enough books filling up my cart...thank you all by the way for feeding my addiction...I decided to continue doing the linky parties for a couple more weeks.  I truly do love Picture Books.  They can be a springboard for a writing activity, to introduce math concepts, science and social studies lessons, and not to mention all the numerous activities for reading.  I asked my husband tonight if I could order all the books in my cart and he said sure!  I think he hasn't checked it out and thinks that I only have a couple in there..hehehe ;)

This week's linky will be on your Favorite Rhyming Books. 
 I LOVE reading rhyming books with my students..to my son..to myself :) I just love reading them!  They are humorous, and students can chime in with words they think rhyme/make sense.  I think I have a nice little collection growing.

There are so many great rhyming books.  My list could be be forever long--from Hop on Pop to Commotion in the Ocean to Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.  There are so many well known popular ones.  I thought I'd try to focus on some lesser known.  
Here are some of my favorites!

Mr. Magee and His Camping Spree
I've shared this one before and left a few freebies HERE.  I love the illustrations, the rhyme...the bear thinking that the trailer hitch is a marshmallow.  It's just a fun story.

I have not read the other books Mr. Magee books by Chris Van Dusen but as much as I enjoy this one, I'm sure that the other ones would be just as cute.
I think I need to have these!!  (I'm going to need a loan for picture books!)

Bear's Loose Tooth
What first grader can't relate to a loose tooth?
Perhaps you are familiar with this author, but it wasn't until a couple years ago that I became familiar with Karma Wilson's picture books.  I have enjoyed every one I've read.....
to my class that is  :)
The illustrations and lessons learned in the Bear books make for wonderful stories.  

Another book by her that my students enjoyed last year was Hogwash.
Love the illustrations in this story too.  

Goldie Locks has Chicken Pox
The pictures in this story seem from the 1950's but my students have enjoyed it.  It's a fun read--and they laugh when the brother tries to connect her dots :) and you encounter a few other storybook favorites.  (I have had to explain what chicken pox were--so many students now get the vaccination that they weren't familiar with this.)

Big Chickens
Humorous story, great rhyming adjectives, and a nice message at the end! :)
Another favorite of my students!

The Seven Silly Eaters
I read this story to my daughter years ago and it's been a favorite since.  Maybe it's because it's a mom thing---and believe me SHE IS A PICKY EATER!  Regardless this story is a cute book for home or school.  (I can totally relate to the tired mom!) 


My list could go on and on.  There are so many great rhyming books.
What are your favorite?
 Do share! You can leave a comment, or link up! :)

Here's how to link up!
1) Grab the image below.  
 2) Post it to your blog post and link back to this post.
3) Share your favorite rhyming books.
4) Return to this post and share your link with inlinkz.  
Remember to use the exact URL of your blog post so that others can find your great book choices!
Perhaps, you could also take time to comment on others posts. 
I'm sure they would love some new followers/comments! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi DeAnne,
    I haven't seen a lot of these books and I just bought a ton of books at the end of the year. There's always another book I need or want to buy! I love Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox. That is the only one I own.
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your great book suggestions. Amazon.com...here I come! Jayne
    Smart Kids
    ABCs of Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great linky, Deanne! Hope you don't mind that I linked up an old post. It's a super cute book!

    You might be interested in hooking up with my Poetry Slam linky. I'm going to do it once a week until Xmas and then decide if it's worth continuing. I have ONE link right now -- haha!

    http://www.gradeonederful.com/2013/07/youre-invited-to-poetry-slam.html#.UeiEgT5ATB4

    Take care!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete

First Grade and Fabulous

Total Pageviews